I begin my first blog post with my coffee on the desk, my computer before me, my cat Mulan on my lap. She joins me at the computer as she thinks I will print something off. She has always been fascinated by the paper coming out, even as a kitten. I guess somethings never change, even as we age.

If you are reading this for the first (maybe the last if it isn't interesting) I should say about the title of the blog. They say as a person gets grayer, they look more "distinguished". If that is so, I am. well beyond distinguished as I turned grey at thirty. However, my writing career isn't. 

I was in the teaching profession for over twenty years teaching students second through eighth grades. There wasn't enough money on the planet for me to go lower. Each year, part of my job was to teach my students how to write. Teaching standards required that I teach certain skills, and while those skills are necessary to be a good writer to get through school, the standards were a bit short on the creative side. 

Middle school gave me the chance to teach students to write from the heart. I could see a gradual shift in attitudes as students began to write about their lives and things that were important to them. My guidance was not professional but it was encouraging. I left the teaching profession glad that I had left some students with a gift they did not know they had.

Honestly, (why do we say that? Shouldn't we assume that honesty is a given, by most people?). What I didn't realize was that I was just as frustrated as a writer by the same doubts as my students. I can teach but I can't really write. No one wants to read what I think. What if no one likes what I write?

For many years I used to journal. I still have many of them and peruse them from time to time. For some reason I stopped. When I retired I discovered an opportunity to write devotionals for a Christian disaster relief organization. More on that in a later post.

That started me on this journey to publish a book. My first attempt was a self-published men's study designed to help men strengthen their relationships within the family. While there were not many books sold, I know it deeply affected the life of art least one person. I am grateful to God for that. 

There was a time I sat down to decide how I knew that I was a successful writer.

1. Did what I write affect me in a positive way?

2. Did what I write have meaning to me and at least one other person?

3. Would God be pleased with what I wrote?

The first two questions would apply to anyone considering writing. The third defines my motivation spiritually. 

In several weeks I am about to start a new adventure in my writing journey. I am going to The Write to Publish Conference in Wheaton, Illinois. There I hope to be encouraged in my journey, learn how to build a platform for my "career?", talk to publishers and agents to see if I can traditionally publish the historical fiction and children's book I have been working on for several years. I hope to narrow down my focus to one genre.

Even if I do not get a second look, I will have picked up valuable experience and feedback for my continued efforts.

In closing this first blog, if you are interested in the men's study, it is titled, The Power of a Single Moment published by Masthof Publishers. Each chapter is anchored by a contemporary Christian song designed to help men process where they are in their relationships with wife and children. Each chapter ends with thought provoking questions and possible actions to take to help strengthen those relationships.

If you do check it out, please let me know what you think.

Blessings

Steve

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One More Time!

Another Novel Nearing Completion