Memorial Day Post
May 25, 2026
This day is one where many people remember those men and women who gave up their lives defending freedom. While I join those people, as I lost a nephew to an I.E.D. in Afghanistan, it also reminds of the day I thought I would have to remember my father on this day.
I was in fourth grade. Dad was in Vietnam. I was home the day the Western Union man paid a visit to our house. I'm sure he knew he was delivering bad news. I could tell by the look on his face as I opened the door.
I managed to get my mother to the door, though I don't remember how. I stood watching as mom took the telegram. Tears may have started before she opened the message but they were in full flow as she read. I stood glued to the floor thinking dad is dead and I have to be the man of the house now.
It took some time for my mom to compose herself and let me know had only been wounded and that he would be flying to San Antonio, Texas to recover. Physically hew did recover after many months. I do not think he ever fully recovered mentally.
I thank God that I do not have to thank my father for giving the ultimate sacrifice. We had many years together after that.
I do wish I had those years with my nephew Thomas. His death was hard on us. His brother took it especially hard. I attended his funeral service and still keep the program.
While we remember those who have died, let us not forget those that still live and may be suffering from the trauma of combat, wherever they may have served. They deserve our thanks as well.
Comments
Post a Comment